BrahMos ALCM Test-fired from Su-30MKI
IndraStra Open Journal Systems
IndraStra Global

BrahMos ALCM Test-fired from Su-30MKI

By IndraStra Global News Team

Image Attribute: Su-30MKI with BrahMos ALCM / Source: Indian Air Force

Image Attribute: Su-30MKI with BrahMos ALCM / Source: Indian Air Force

On November 22, 2017, Indian Air Force’s (IAF) test fired BrahMos Air Launched Cruise Missile (ALCM) from its frontline fighter aircraft Sukhoi-30MKI against a sea-based target in the Bay of Bengal. 

The missile was gravity dropped from the fuselage of Su-30MKI, and the two-stage missile’s engine fired up and straightway propelled towards the intended target at the sea in the Bay of Bengal. 

The successful maiden test firing of BrahMos ALCM from Su-30MKI will significantly bolster the IAF’s air combat operations capability from stand-off ranges. Brahmos ALCM weighing 2.5 ton is the heaviest weapon to be deployed on India’s Su-30 fighter aircraft modified by HAL to carry weapons. To reduce the missile's weight to 2.5 tons, many modifications were made like using a smaller booster, adding fins for airborne stability after launch, and relocating the connector. It can be released from the height of 500 to 14,000 meters (1,640 to 46,000 ft). After release, the missile free falls for 100–150 meters, then goes into a cruise phase at 14,000 meters and finally the terminal phase at 15 meters.

According to the India's Ministry of Defence (MoD), Brahmos is a true multi-platform, multi-mission role weapon system which is now capable of being launched from Land, Sea, and Air, completing the tactical cruise missile triad for India. BrahMos is the outcome of a joint venture between Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) of India and NPO Mashinostroyenia (NPOM) of Russia under BrahMos Aerospace Limited (India holds a 50.5% share stake in the company and Russia holds the other 49.5%). The missile is named after two rivers, the Brahmaputra and the Moskva.

Union Defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman congratulated DRDO and BrahMos for the outstanding accomplishment.

Dr. S Christopher, Chairman DRDO & Secretary, Department of Defence R&D congratulated the Scientists and Engineers for this excellent textbook kind of flight test.

The missile test was witnessed by Dr. Sudhir Mishra, DG (BrahMos) & CEO & MD, BrahMos Aerospace along with senior IAF officials, Scientists and Officials from DRDO and BrahMos.